Ukrainian Mushroom Soup
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion finely minced
- 1 small carrot chopped
- 8 oz Portobello Crimini or Shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 c half and half* see notes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick pan and over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and sauté stirring from time to time until onion is translucent about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a plate and add mushrooms. Cook stirring occasionally until liquid evaporates and mushrooms start to brown 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile add vegetable stock to a large stockpot and bring it to a boil. Add potatoes reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add sautéed onion carrot 3/4 of all mushrooms 1 tsp of thyme 1 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook until potatoes are tender about 5 more minutes.
- Add 1 cup of half and half bring soup to a boil add 3 cloves of garlic pushed through a garlic press and remove soup from the heat.
- Using an immersion or stand blender puree the soup.
- Ladle the soup into bowls top with the remaining mushrooms and serve with a crusty baguette.
NotesIf you don t have Half & Half you can use 1/2 cup of milk plus 1/2 cup of cream.Base Recipe adapted from site