The Best Scone Recipe Ever
- 3 cups self raising flour (no self raising flour? see notes)
- pinch salt
- 2 oz butter
- 1 1/4 cups milk plus extra
- Metric – US Customary
- Heat the oven to 230°C/450°F
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. It s fine even better if some of the butter is not completely rubbed in. Leave little pebbles of butter.
- Stir in the milk with a flat bladed knife. Depending on the weather and your flour you may need a spoonful or two more of milk. The dough should be sticky.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead gently for a brief 30 seconds. (Hint: count quickly to 30). Pat into a flat round about 3 centimetres thick.
- Cut with a floured cutter pressing straight down and not twisting. Place on baking paper lined tray close together.
- Bake in the hottest part of the preheated oven. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes.
- Remove scones from the oven and wrap in a clean teatowel. This will keep them soft and tender.
This article and recipe adapted from this site