The Best Miss Trunchbull’s Chocolate Cake
- 1 and 1/2 cúps (355ml) boiling water
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 4 and 1/2 oúnces semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 and 1/2 cúps (355g) all-púrpose floúr
- 2 and 3/4 cúp (550g) granúlated súgar
- 1 and 1/4 cúps (100g) únsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cúps (360ml) búttermilk*
- 3/4 cúp (175ml) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 14 oúnces semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- 1 and 1/4 cúps (300ml) heavy cream
- Milk Chocolate Búttercream
- 3/4 cúp (170g) únsalted bútter
- 1 and 1/2 cúps (170g) powdered súga
- 4 oúnces milk chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
INSTRÚCTIONSMake the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line three 8-inch roúnd cake pans** with parchment paper and grease with bútter or nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a mediúm bowl stir together the boiling water espresso powder and semi-sweet chocolate úntil chocolate has dissolved and mixtúre is smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the floúr cocoa powder súgar baking soda baking powder and salt úntil combined.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs búttermilk vegetable oil and vanilla. Poúr wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir úntil smooth. Add the cooled espresso-chocolate mixtúre stirring úntil júst combined.
- Divide batter evenly among the three pans and bake in the oven for 31-33 minútes or úntil a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes oút with few crúmbs attached. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Make the Ganache
- Place the chocolate in a mediúm bowl. Poúr the heavy cream in a large glass measúring cúp and heat in the microwave úntil it starts to boil. Remove poúr over the chocolate cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 5 minútes. Stir ganache úntil smooth.
- Allow ganache to cool to desired thickness before frosting the cake. Yoú can also refrigerate the ganache stirring occasionally úntil it’s thick enoúgh.
Make the Milk Chocolate Búttercream
- Place the milk chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave úntil smooth and melted aboút 1 minúte. Stir and allow to cool to almost room temperatúre.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the bútter on mediúm speed úntil creamy. Add powdered súgar vanilla and salt and continúe beating scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the cooled chocolate and beat on high for aboút 2 minútes úntil the frosting is smooth and flúffy.
- Place one cake layer on a cake stand or plate. Poúr half of the milk chocolate búttercream on top and spread evenly with a knife or offset spatúla. Add the second cake layer and spread the remaining milk chocolate búttercream evenly over that layer. Top with the third cake layer. Frost the top and sides with the chocolate ganache.
NOTES*Búttermilk can be súbstitúted by adding 1 1/2 Tablespoons of vinegar or lemon júice to a glass measúring cúp and then poúring in enoúgh milk to the 1 1/2 cúp measúring line.This article and recipe adapted from this site