Honey Cashew Chicken
IngredientsFor the marinade:
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce more or less to taste
- 1/2 cup water or chicken broth
For the stir fry:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeds and ribs removed chopped or sliced
- 3 medium cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup unsalted cashew nuts toasted (see notes)
- hot cooked rice we prefer Jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions for garnish if desired
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds for garnish if desired
- In a large glass bowl prepare the marinade by combining 2 tablespoons cornstarch black pepper 2 tablespoons soy sauce 2 tablespoons sesame oil and 1 teaspoon rice vinegar. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and toss to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate while preparing the vegetables. Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- In a small bowl combine the sauce ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sauté stirring frequently until lightly browned and cooked through about 10 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and heat until shimmering. Add the broccoli onion and bell pepper and sauté until the vegetables are crisp tender about 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and red pepper flakes and stir until fragrant about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and then the honey sauce mixture. Cook stirring constantly until the sauce is thickened and all vegetables and chicken are coated about 3-4 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the cashews to the skillet. Stir to coat. Serve immediately over hot cooked rice garnished with sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE