Healthy Southwest Quinoa Salad
INGREDIENTSFor the salad:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup quinoa well rinsed and drained
- 1 3/4 cups low sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup canned corn drained
- 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 4 green onions sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
For the lime vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- guacamole or avocado if desired
- Heat the 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant stirring about 1 minute. Add the quinoa and vegetable broth (or water) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat cover and simmer until the liquid has been absorbed about 12-16 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- While the quinoa cooks prepare the lime vinaigrette. In a small bowl or jar combine the dressing ingredients. Whisk (or shake in a jar with a lid) until well combined.
- Transfer the cooked quinoa to a large bowl and stir in the corn black beans bell pepper green onions and cilantro. Add the dressing and stir gently to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Serve salad warm or cold with guacamole or sliced avocado if desired.
- Quinoa salad can be stored for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
NUTRITIONServing: 1.5cups | Calories: 319kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 161mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 10gThis article and recipe adapted from this site