Easy One Skillet Filipino Coconut Adobo Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce (use more to your taste)
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup canned full fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup honey
- 6 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 4 dried bay leaves
- green onions and limes for serving
INSTRUCTIONS1. Season the chicken all over with black pepper. In a large glass measuring cup combine the soy sauce vinegar coconut milk honey and 1/4 cup of water.
2. In a large skillet with sides heat the olive oil over high heat. When the oil shimmers add the chicken working in batches if needed. Sear on both sides about 4-5 minutes per side.
3. Add the garlic cook until fragrant about 1-2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and pour in the soy sauce mixture. Add the bay leaves. Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes uncover and cook another 10-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thickening slightly. If the sauce is thickening too fast add ¼ cup of additional water. If the sauce is not thicken simmer an additional 10 minutes. It s better to have more sauce than less sauce.
4. Remove the bay leaves and discard. Serve the adobo over rice and top with green onions and squeeze of lime juice if desiredThis article and recipe adapted from this site