Cream Puffs Recipe
IngredientsIngredients for Choux Pastry:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour measured correctly
- 4 eggs (large) room temperature
Ingredients for Cream Filling and Garnish:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream chilled
- 4 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 28 raspberries optional
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar to garnish
InstructionsHow to Make Cream Puffs:
- Preheat oven to 425?F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper.
- In a Medium saucepan combine 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup milk 8 Tbsp butter 1 tsp sugar and 1/4 tsp salt. Bring just to a boil over medium heat then remove from heat and stir in 1 cup flour all at once with a wooden spoon.
- One flour is incorporated place back over medium heat stirring constantly for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to release extra moisture and partially cook flour. A thin film will form on the bottom of the pan and dough will come together into a smooth ball.
- Transfer dough to a large mixing bowl and beat using an electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute to cool mixture slightly. Add 4 eggs 1 at a time allowing to fully incorporate between additions. Beat another minute until dough is smooth and forms a thick ribbon when pulled up.
- Transfer the dough to a piping bag fitted with a 1/2 round tip. Pipe 28 puffs each 1 1/2” diameter and 1/2” tall rounds. Keep them 1 apart and avoid making peaks* but if you do get peaks wet finger tips lightly with water and smooth them out.
- Bake at 425?F for 10 minutes in the center of the oven. Without opening oven reduce temp to 325?F and bake 20-22 min longer or until golden brown on top. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
How to Make Whipped Cream:
- In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups heavy cream 4 Tbsp sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Beat on medium-high speed until fluffy with stiff peaks (2 min). Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large open star tip.
- Once cream puffs are completely cooled fill them with cream. There are 2 ways to fill them: (#1) pipe the cream into the puffs by pushing the pastry tip into the side and piping until cream pushes back or (#2) Cut off tops of puffs and pipe cream inside using a pastry bag push a raspberry down into the center if desired then cover with the tops. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE