Classic Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup refined coconut oil melted* (see notes)
- 3/4 cup organic granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed organic brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (see notes for gluten-free option)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Keep in mind that this recipe makes 3 dozen so you will need to bake multiple batches. See notes for freezing options.
- In a large bowl add the coconut oil granulated sugar brown sugar applesauce and vanilla and mix well. Stir in the all-purpose flour baking soda baking powder and salt until a dough forms. Lastly mix in chocolate chips until well incorporated.
- Set the dough into the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours. Since we are using melted coconut oil the cookies on their own (unchilled) will be flat and may overspread.
- Using a tablespoon sized scooper drop mounds of dough onto the baking sheet 2 inches apart (we fit 12 on each sheet and baked these in 3 batches). No need to press them down.
- Place into the oven and bake for 13-14 minutes or until the edges brown. The cookies will seem soft but don’t worry they will firm up while they cool. Allow the cookies to rest on the baking sheet for 1 minute after removing them from the oven and then carefully transfer them onto a cooling rack using a spatula. Cool completely.
- We opted for refined coconut oil in order to avoid the coconut flavor. Unrefined coconut oil will have a coconut flavor so just keep that in mind!
- If you would like to make these gluten-free we recommend the Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-free Baking Flour. We tested this recipe with it and it was successful!
- If you would like to save this dough for later you can freeze it! Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and use a cookie scooper to evenly scoop mounds of the dough. You can line them up close together since you are not baking them. Once you have scooped out all of the dough place the baking sheet into the freezer for 30-60 minutes (the longer the better). Remove the dough mounds from the trays and transfer them to a freezer safe bag. Be sure to keep note of when you freeze them + what time and temperature you need to bake them at! Since the dough is frozen it might require 1 to 2 minutes or even longer for baking.
- Store in an airtight container for 1 week.
This Recipe adapted from >>>> Click Here