- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 5 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 14 oz. can coconut milk (400 ml)
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup low sodium soy sauce (115-155 ml We DO NOT recommend using light soy sauce for this dish as it is too salty)
- 1/4-1/3 cup distilled white or cane vinegar (60-80 ml)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns (or 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic (smashed)
- 1 dried red chili (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (chopped optional)
- Rinse the chicken pieces and thoroughly pat dry with paper towels. Heat a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat and add the oil. Brown the chicken on all sides until crisp.
- Add in the coconut milk soy sauce vinegar sugar pepper/peppercorns bay leaves garlic and chili. Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan and allow to simmer for 1 hour (add a bit of hot water if you need more liquid).
- In the last 10 minutes of cooking crank up the heat to medium high to thicken the sauce slightly. Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro if using.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE