Best Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 2 quarts (8 cups) full-fat buttermilk
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 3-4 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 (3 and 1/2 – 4 lbs) whole chicken cut into 10-12 pieces
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp white pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 of the seasoning blend (above)
BUTTERMILK EGG WASH:
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 and 1/2 quarts cooking oil for frying
INSTRUCTIONSFOR THE BUTTERMILK MARINADE:
- In a large resealable bag combine the buttermilk sliced onions sliced garlic hot sauce salt and black peppercorns.
- Add the chicken pieces and seal the bag while pressing the air out and rub the marinade into the chicken making sure all the chicken is submerged. Transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for 6-12 hours or overnight.
FOR SEASONING BLEND THE:
- In a small bowl add all of the spices and mix everything together until well combined.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator and from the marinade shake off (or rinse) the excess and place onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle half of the seasoning blend on both sides of the chicken pieces.
- In a large bowl add the flour baking powder and the remaining half of seasoning blend and mix until well combined.
- Pour the flour mixture into an extra-large resealable bag or an extra large paper bag and place all the chicken pieces inside. Seal the bag and shake well to coat all the chicken. Remove chicken pieces from bag and place back onto the baking sheet.
FOR THE BUTTERMILK EGG WASH:
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs together until completely pale. Add the buttermilk and hot sauce and beat until well combined. Mix in garlic powder.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the egg mixture shake off the excess then place back into the flour bag.
- Seal the bag and once again shake until all the chicken is well coated. Remove chicken from the bag and place onto a plate or baking sheet.
- Pour your oil into a deep dutch oven pot clipping a frying/candy thermometer to the side of your pot (making sure it s not touching the bottom) and heat until the oil reaches 350F. If you don t have a thermometer test a piece of the flour and if it begins to fry gently the oil is ready.
- Line a large baking sheet with paper towels and place a cooling rack on top. Set aside.
- Add the chicken to the oil working in batches (fry dark meat together and white meat together). Fry the chicken for 13-16 minutes (16-20 minutes for dark meat) ~SEE NOTES~ The internal temperature should read 160 degrees F. If it s not do not return to oil just preheat your oven to 350F and bake the chicken until it reaches the correct internal temperature. You can also cut the chicken open to make sure it s no longer pink.
- When the chicken is done frying place onto the cooling rack and let the chicken drain. Heat the oil back to 350F and repeat until all chicken is cooked.
- Let the chicken sit for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
This article and recipe adapted from this site