Best One Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 2 tbsp / 30 g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 500 g/1 lb chicken thigh cut into bite size pieces (Note 1)
- 2 ½ tbsp flour (or 1 ½ tbsp. cornflour / cornstarch)
- 2 cups / 500 ml milk (any I use low fat)
- 2 cups / 500 ml chicken broth
- 1 ¼ cups / 225g white rice uncooked (Note 2)
- 1 tsp dried thyme (or other herb of choice)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large head of broccoli broken / cut into small florets (~400 – 500g / 14 oz – 1 lb) (Note 3)
- 2 cups / 200g shredded mozzarella or cheddar (or other cheese of choice) (Note 4)
- Finely chopped parsley optional garnish
- Melt butter and heat oil in a pot over high heat. Add onion and garlic cook for 1 minute. Add chicken and cook until it changes from pink to white. (Note 5)
- Turn stove DOWN to medium. Add flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Add half the milk stirring as you go and once incorporated into the flour add the rest of the milk and stir.
- Add broth rice thyme and a just pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir bring to simmer then cover. Turn down to medium low and cook for 12 minutes.
- Remove lid – there should still be liquid on the surface. Working quickly add broccoli push down so it’s partly submerged cover and cook for a further 3 minutes until broccoli is just cooked.
- Preheat grill/broiler. Remove lid and stir through half the cheese – don’t worry if it looks a bit too saucy excess liquid gets sucked up in minutes (see video). Smooth surface top with remaining cheese. Grill/broil until melted (or just put lid on and allow to melt with residual heat on turned off stove).
- Serve immediately garnished with parsley if desired.
This article and recipe adapted from this site