Best Almond Coconut Cake
IngredientsFor almond sponge:
- 7 large egg whites
- 1 and 3/4 cups ( 225 g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (125 g) unsalted butter
- 3.5 oz (100g) toasted almonds-ground
- 1 cup (100g) sifted cake flour
- A pinch of salt
- 14 oz. (390 g) white chocolate-chopped
- 1 and 1/3 cups Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon gelatin dissolved in 3 tablespoon cool water
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- For decoration:
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon powdered sugar(or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8–10 Raffaello pralines
- Shredded/Grated coconut (approximately 1 cup)
- The cake should be made a day ahead because it has to chill overnight in the fridge before you will be able to assemble it completely!!!
To make the almond sponge:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line two baking trays with parchment paper set aside.
- In a small saucepan heat the butter until lightly browned then let it cool completely.
- Mix the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add powdered sugar and mix until combine. Mix in cooled browned butter. Gently stir in ground almond and flour.
- Divide the mixture on the two baking trays forming a thin layers (10 x 14 inch each).Bake for 15-16 minutes (until light golden)
- Let the almond sponge cool then cut 2 circles from each layer. You should cut out one 7 inch round layer (that will be the base layer) and three 6 inch round layers.
- You can cut the leftover sponge into small rectangles and oven-dry them to make tasty breakfast biscotti.
To make the filling:
- Dissolve the gelatin in cold water.
- In a small saucepan heat the coconut milk and heavy cream until it boils. Remove from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes then add chopped white chocolate and stir until it has melted completely. Add the dissolved gelatin and stir until it’ melted completely through the heat of the coconut milk and chocolate. Finally stir in lemon juice and let it all cool to room temperature (it will take some time to cool the chocolate and milk mixture to room temperature about an hour and you should stir it periodically)
- Add the Greek yogurt and put it in the fridge for a few minutes to thicken. NOTES: When you combine the chocolate mixture and yogurt and set it in the fridge for 10-15 minutes it will seems chilled but it will still be thin and runny!!! Don’t worry it will thicken overnight while the cake is in the mold and placed in the fridge!!!
To assemble the cake:
- You’ll need ring from springform pan or pastry ring (it should be 7 inch in diameter and 3.5 -4 inch tall)!!!
- Place the 7 inch layer of sponge in a spring form and pour 1/4 of the filling. Continue with 6 inch sponge and pour 1/4 filling on each. Place the cake in the fridge overnight (or at least for 5-6 hours)
- Beat 1/3 cup heavy cream with 1 teaspoon vanilla and powdered sugar to taste until stiff peaks form. Spread the cream on top of the cake then gently remove the cake from the mold and decorate the side and top with coconut garnish the top with Raffaello candies.
- Store in the fridge.
This article and recipe adapted from this site